Line Clearance for Tree Trimming
May 12, 2021
1:00 - 3:00pm ET
Instructor: Lee Marchessault, CUSP
Tree trimming is already a hazardous field with multiple annual fatalities. Now add working in the vicinity of power lines to the mix and you have an extremely hazardous condition. In addition to the falls, struck by and caught between hazards faced by all tree trimmers, Line Clearance Tree Trimmers get injured or die from direct contact with power lines, indirect contact through conductive branches, arc flash events and gradient potential where vehicles become energized. This program will cover hazards supported by case studies and minimum OSHA training requirements for Line Clearance Tree Trimmers. We will also discuss the 3-cut method to effectively clear a powerline.
- Understand electrical shock and arc flash hazards.
- Define Qualified Electrical Workers and associated training requirements for LCTTs.
- Explain OSHA requirements specific to Line Clearance Tree Trimmers.
- Identify how 3 cuts can clear most trees from a powerline.
- Describe ways to mitigate the hazards maintaining minimum approach and care and use of hot sticks.
Earn 2 CUSP Points
The views, information, or opinions expressed during this webinar are solely those of the individuals involved and do not necessarily represent those of Utility Business Media and its employees. It is strongly recommended you discuss any actions or policy changes with your company management prior to implementation.